Search This Blog

Saturday, October 16, 2004

God in His Temple

Lately our Sunday School class has been all about worship. Very cool stuff.

The teacher has been coming at it from the angle of the Temple of God. One Sunday he talked about the first meeting place of God and man--the garden of Eden, in the cool of the day. Then, after that was spoiled, later God established a meeting place at the Tabernacle. A place where God could not only meet with people, but teach them more about who He is. He's holy, someone to be reverenced, but someone who will go to great lengths to meet with his people. Then when Jesus came to earth, He was Emmanuel--God with us. Jesus was the ultimate provision of a "meeting place"--God walking among us. When you saw him, you saw God. He was also to teach about God. And He was to manifest God fellowshipping with man. Then when he returned to heaven the Holy Spirit would come to dwell within us, thus marking each of US as the temple of God. I Corinthians 6:19 says we are the temple of the Holy Spirit. The word "naos," translated temple, was one of two words for "temple" used in the New Testament. The other one referred to the temple as a whole structure. This word "naos" refers more specifically to the "holy of holies," the place where God dwelled, above the ark of the covenant, the one place in all of earth God designated as his official home on earth, the one place we could be assured of God meeting with humanity. A place so holy only one priest a year could go in there. And even then, he wore bells, and a string that led back out to someone outside the room. They would listen to the bells. If somehow the priest displeased God, the silence of the bells would signal that he was dead and must be dragged out by the string. It was that holy. Now we are the "holy of holies" of God--the designated earthly meeting place of God with humanity. Kind of blows your mind when you think of it that way. And next time I'm tempted to do, say, or even think something that would dishonor God, hopefully this thought will draw me up short before I dishonor God in His temple.
Allthings2all
Another blog that's worth reading. All interesting, but scroll down to "Brokenness and Beauty" to read more on "treasure in earthen vessels."

5 comments:

amy m. provine said...

Wow, lots of stuff to think about. That blog was deep too. I like the new look of the blog too Godseeker!

A

Godseeker said...

Like it? I thought a little reflection on our gender might be nice. I thought about something organic, but while that reflects some of us, this, I think, is more reflective of the majority of us.

I'm glad you liked the blog. Our Sunday school class has a depth that reminds me of Mamaladybug, but there's something she said last year that is SO true. The closeness of our little ladies' fellowship makes the atmosphere more conducive to learning. We really are meant to function as a family, huh?

amy m. provine said...

yes, we were meant to function as a family. Our sunday school class is also doing a really neat study, but I don't think the class will ever get beyond the close aquaintance stage. Oh well it serves its purpose, but I don't get as much out of it that I would otherwise. It is really neat that we are all very aware of where we are all at in our spiritual walk. When we grow we are ready to congratulate and encourage each other.

Our worship minister had a neat communion meditation yesterday. He related about how much he looks forward to his family dinners, especially since he now lives several hours away. And how his parents and family really anticipate when he comes home... He related this to our spiritual family and looking forward to communing together each sunday. It was neat! How much more I look forward to The Feast. The one He is preparing for us. We did a special meal the other night, for fun, but in preparation for Sunday. I spent most of the day cleaning and getting things ready (not to elaborate, but more than usual) It was just neat. Neat in that I was wanting everything to be perfect for my family, neat because He wants everything to be perfect for us. Neat because as I was concentrating on cleaning and preparations, I was also cleaning and preparing my heart. My darling did of course get home late and I had to leave right after for work. And I didn't get everything perfect, but it was good. I look forward to then.

Catez said...

Hi,
Great blog you've got going here. I really liked this post on the temple - a temple not made with human hands! Thanks for the thumbs on on Allthings2all. I've just added you to my blogroll - I have been wanting more links to sites by Christian sisters. God bless you.

Godseeker said...

Thanks for the listing! I'm enjoying you site as well. It's become a regular stop in my daily websurf.