Search This Blog

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Organizing & Costumes

This last week I have embarked on a massive cleaning and organizing spree. Last Friday one of my friends came over to chat and I mentioned how I have been wanting to reorganize the playroom, someday. My friend said, "let's get started!" Ummmm... OK. As previously mentioned I am not that good with cleaning. Or more accurately, I just don't like to do it. So it took a little cajoling, but we got started and a few hours of sorting, tossing and putting away later we had a clean playroom.

So when my friend left, I brushed off my hands and decided that I was done with that. phew. Ummmmm..... no not quite. A week later here I am sitting in a clean office the boys are playing in a clean playroom and not only can I see the carpet, but it is freshly vacuumed. (Thank you to another friend who gave us a vacuum that she wasn't using. - Everything in our house is in the process of breaking, but that's another story) Not perfect, but a lot better than it used to be.

Sometimes it takes a little encouragement from a friend to get where you should be going. Whether it is a massive (yes) cleaning and reorganizing. Or completely overhauling your life. I wouldn't have been able to do either without my friends.

This week was Halloween. We were invited to a couple of costume parties. This was the first time since jr high that I actually dressed up. It was fun to pretend to be someone else for a couple hours. At the first party I was a nurse and at the second I was Becky Sawyer - overalls, freckles and straw hat.

Sometimes as a Christian I feel like I'm at a costume party. Some of us are pretending to be someone. In high school, when I was a new Christian, there were so many things that I turned from, that it really was like pretending that I was someone I was not. A lot of people were confused. Twelve years later, I feel like I've really grown and changed a lot. Jesus is continuing to work on making me more like him.

My husband and I lead a young married couples class, and a comment that I've heard twice this fall is "I don't know how seriously you will take us as new Christians." What? I feel like a new Christian a lot of the time myself. Don't they know the struggles I went through to be here? I guess all the cleaning and reorganizing that I've done has disguised who I was. I need to let the real me peek through a little more.

2 comments:

Godseeker said...

It must feel good to be organized.:)

heiress said...

Just when you think you have the clutter attacked you notice a new pile! That's how my life has been recently. I like it all neatly organized. Then I opened my linnen closet and noticed all sorts of things I had been cramming in there. Both literally and figuratively. God has been working a new work in my life lately. A quiet time to slowly pull out the old and dust it off, give it away, or fold it neatly for use on another day. I never imagined some of the things in that closet. Some I thought I had no use for, God has found a use. The hard part it knowing which things He plans for us to keep and which to discard.

Hmm... on pretending. I have enjoyed being in a recent community theater play. It has given me soem much needed time to be some one I'm not. To just memorize the lines and say them when and how I'm told. God is a little like that. He wants us to memorize His word and use it when and how He tells us too. I think once I can put my script down for the Christmas Story, I need to pick up the ultimate script. I will never be "off book" with this one. But thankfully God let's me call 'line' whenver I need him.
Have a God Day.