Search This Blog

Sunday, December 09, 2007

I'm clumsy.

Did you know that? I think that you might have. I'm not graceful on my feet like Godseeker, I'm not graceful with my spoken words like Heiress. I trip over my feet when I walk... My words either spill out of my mouth before I can capture them Or the "cat gets my tongue" so to speak and when I should speak up, I can't force the words out.

That said, I had an awful bruise on my shoulder blade. Right at that spot where you always have the itch you can't reach? Yep. My shoulder was tight and it hurt to move. That was the day of the monthly roller skating party that one my organizations has. Yes, I had to take the kids. Usually the older kid gets the chance to go play with his friends and I take young kid duty. This day I told him flat out, he was in charge of his brother. He must have seen the pain in my eyes. He didn't argue, he took over, very adequately taking charge of the little one.

So I was left to talk to the Mom's... Usually thats a joy! Adult conversation! Not this day. As some one who talks best with her hands flying, every sentence was whinced through. God apparently guided me to the right table to sit down. Or maybe I just plunked myself down at the nearest one ;) Anyway, One of my friends that I don't get to see much shared the table with me. We chatted a little bit. I'm sure she knew my heart wasn't completely in it. So I finally confessed I was hurting. She perked up. She had something that I could try. I wasn't so sure... I had taken some painkillers and it didn't even touch the pain I was in.

She dug around in her purse and pulled out a tube of something and handed it to me. Shrugging her shoulders she said, "its Arnica, who knows whats in it, but it works." I promptly went to the bathroom to contort myself into a pretzel to apply it. Oh well. At least I tried. I walked back out. And by the time I sat down relief spread across my shoulder and it relaxed. I was so grateful for my friend's generosity! We had a nice time afterwards. The older child still took care of the younger one :) My shoulder felt lots better for a long time afterwards... A couple days later I bought my own tube of Arnica. Its great stuff!

Sometime we just need a little bit of friendship to get us through the tough spots.

3 comments:

Godseeker said...

I don't know. I think you're a good writer. I mean, I felt the pain and I felt the relief when I read your story. I'm sorry you had such a gloomy start to your day. I'm glad you found something to help make it better. Arnica, huh? I may need that for the next time I get the urge to dance. ;) Thanks for sharing.

amy m. provine said...

Thanks! Yeah, get some arnica. It's really great!

Writing isn't so bad... its just speaking in real time that I usually put my foot in my mouth or say things that don't come across clearly. I'm pretty sure that people who meet me on the street think I'm either odd or slow.

Godseeker said...

Ah. I see. I misread.

I'd still say you're a good conversationalist, though. I always enjoy time spent talking with you. However, if you're saying that there's more inside that does not come out, I can definitely believe you. Not because your conversation is not good. It IS good. But your writing is QUITE good.

I would hazard a guess that many of the best writers are awkward with their conversation. But that drives them to write, which leaves us with their legacy of thoughts. And that's a good thing, Amy M. :)