Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

What about ash Wednesday for the Christian?

Ok ladies- I have been quiet but not forgotten (I hope) Things are my normal crazy busy and God is good. Even in some hard times (and they have really gotten stinky at work) I am given some good. I'm reminder that the Lord gives and takes away. My playground fundraising has paid off and we will see some new equiptment going in this Spring. The ladies Sunday school class idea has taken hold and we will soon see how this progresses. And lastly (for now) the Performing Arts Ministry book study idea has begun with several participating. The best news of all is that I am not leading everything. People are getting plugged in to use their gifts and strengths. I am merely been coreographing. (Which after another class I have been in may be my spiritual gift- administration). Oh I almost forgot, the I- team. Or passion team or whatever we called it. The recommendations were made to the elders. I had a HUGE concern that no one would see the impact. That we would only be successfully at making the I-team more passionately spiritual. Well, wrong. God laid it in the hearts of the men from the team to step up into leadership positions. As a result, all of the men are now elders/deacons or staff members. The women of course continue to be strong supporters. But having the men that went through with us and understand the recommendations be leaders is a big plus.

OK what does this have to do with Ash Wednesday?? Nothing. I was just up dating you before I got to my question. So what about it? I know it signifies the beginning of Lent. But is it biblical?? I tend to think a lot of the Catholic traditions stem from strong politics. So is Ash Wednesday biblical or political?? Can anyone give my reference and verse??

4 comments:

Darrell said...

I see you got no takers on defending Lent being Biblical. As you no doubt know, very little guidance, much less commands are given regarding church activities. God clearly intends for us to worship "in spirit and in truth" however it works for us. That means lent is perfectly Ok, as is not lent :)

heiress said...

thanks for the comment- I was starting to wonder if I scared everyone off with a controversial question. I have a catholic co-worker who sent me some intersting info on Ash Wednesday. History is so very interesting.

Godseeker said...

In the fall we studied Jewish festivals. We learned that understanding Jewish history had a heavy impact in opening our eyes to understand the New Testament. We also learned that it would be okay as Christians to celebrate festivals, or even adapt them, if we wish. But it's no longer a requirement for us. The bottom line is, does it enrich your relationship with God, or does it bog you down with more rituals to follow?

So I'd say it's the same with the festivals introduced throughout Church history. It's good to know our history. So, Heiress, did you celebrate Ash Wednesday? Did it enrich your relationship with God? As a "low church" Protestant, I don't know enough about Ash Wednesday to understand it. For me it would be just a ritual. But maybe I should dig around and find out about it. Maybe I'm missing some great lessons. I'd have to agree with Anselm. Ash Wednesday and Lent are okay, and not participating is okay as well.

Anonymous said...

I don't know the history behind Ash Wednesday either, Sorry. Following up to Godseekers comment though...

Last year, I celebrated Lent by taking up reading approximately 1 book of the bible a day just during Lent. I learning so much and was so blessed during that time! I plan on doing it again sometime, not necessarily during lent. But sometime.

Love,
A.