Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Homesick

Here we are again at the end of summer. Sometimes I think that this is the best and the saddest time of the year all wrapped up into one exhilaratingly quick blink of an eye; and then its fall. This is the time of year that we've all spent so much time outside that the outdoors feels like home. You are so used to the emerald greens that when they start to fade you continually tell yourself that it isn't true, your eyesight must be getting bad.

"Poor little booger," my oldest is playing with the baby when suddenly starts lamenting. I inquire about this statement. To which he responds, "he has got to be sooo homesick now." What we are at home. Doing our familiar bedtime routines. How could you get more "at home" than that? Well let me tell you, through the eyes of a child. B just pointed up to the ceiling. I look up and the realization of what he meant poured over me like honey - sweet, yet the implications were sticky. I often forget where my true home is. Yet my children who haven't graced this earth as long as I have, haven't taken their eyes from their true home. Some days they are a blessing to me, the unrestrained happiness only a child can know. Their eyes and hearts are still mostly pure and untainted by the world. Yet I know that there will be a time soon when they too will have to have their sins washed away. To regain this purity that is so natural to them now.

Yes, now that you mention it, I'm homesick, too. We all are. Maybe we don't all know it because we fill the void with something else, but all of our hearts are yearning to be clean and pure and for our home in the sky.

This year we are keeping my oldest home to school him here. After long deliberations, we have decided that, for now, this is the best that we can do. We are looking forward to this year, many neat things planned. I do believe that God has lead us to this path for a reason. What exactly I'm not sure yet. It seems like my path in life is meandering, but I know that He leads me down the straight and narrow.

Love,
A.