Search This Blog

Friday, October 31, 2008

Anatomy

I barely mentioned my classes. I love them. Yes, they are hard, and its difficult, but its fun. I really like learning about the world and having a new angle on life. I'm making new friends can't be all bad, right?

Taking science classes is so cool. I keep thinking, wow, God did this. For every level that we dig into chemistry or anatomy it gets more and more complicated and intricate. And I keep thinking that this is not random, someone really smart had to put all this together.

As we are looking at each system of the body, all the different layers working together and interacting in just the right way is amazing. Sometimes we will look at something, break it apart, slowly digest how it's working. And then the teacher will say, but remember this isn't just working in isolation - not this one reaction is happening. For example, the neurons have to have so much stimulation to create an action potential to converse with the other neurons via neurotransmitters. We will look at just one way they do this, and it takes like an hour to explain it all out. But then we think about how it really functions, millions of these reactions happen at the blink of an eye. That's just astonishing!

Don't get me wrong. I've always thought the human body was amazing and intricate. And I know that God created something very special. And I knew it was amazing. But to start to quantify how amazing is mind boggling. Almost akin to looking up into the small portion of the milky way and thinking about how big the universe is. Phenomenal.

And then there's chemistry. In high school, I was really bad at chemistry. I don't know why, but I just didn't get it at all. I wanted to, but I just don't think that it liked me. Or maybe I was distracted.

Anyway, I really didn't know what to expect for this time around in chemistry. Its not easy, but I seem to be understanding it better this time. As applicable as chemistry can be to everyday life, what we are doing seems so far removed. But in anatomy we are actually using a lot of chemistry to describe what happens in our bodies. So I think that's helping. That and being around other people that aren't under the age of 12 is definitely a good thing :)

And I'm now certified to do CPR. There is the potential that I can maybe help save someone's life! Isn't that cool?

So that's school in a nutshell. I can't wait until I get to actually start nursing classes, but that won't be until next fall, so I'll try to keep my excitement in check.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I did my nursing studies, I had a true God experience when doing anatomy and physiology. It was so amazing, to realize how everything works together, and how amazing that it actually (most of the time) works!! There is no possibility in the world that the human body was put together by mistake. After those studies, I can never ever doubt that there is a great creator.