Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Voting Day

It's about 2:00 US central time as I write this, and my day started early. I got out to the poll as soon as it opened, since I go to work about that time anyway. To my (pleasant) surprise, there was no line waiting. I walked right in and voted. There was no nastiness at the poll, although I had to drive around quite a number of signs that had been ripped up and thrown in the road (mostly Republican, I might say).

People at the poll were quite pleasant. I was the first to vote in my district. : ) I was offered the traditional "I voted" sticker, and I accepted. I've turned it down in the past, thinking it just a little ostentatious. This time, though, I thought of Afghan voters who proudly displayed their stained thumbs. Voting is a good thing. Democracy, I think, is a gift from God. So I proudly wore my sticker this year.

When I got to school, I was asked in EVERY class who I voted for. I explained to the kids that part of the political process was the right to not have to say who you voted for. But then I told them I voted for the issues important to me--morality and security. I got a lot of smiles.

My 2nd-3rd grade class is quite active politically. And quite conservative, I might add. Most of them had homemade Bush bumper stickers taped to their desks. And taped to their lockers. And taped to their tummies and rear ends. I felt a little sorry for the Democratic intern from the local University who came in to help out with their reading. She told them who she voted for. As I was leaving, I think their homeroom teacher was heading off a riot. Anyhow--they may need some help with appropriate response to differing opinions, but I'm glad they're engaged politically.

Am anxiously praying. My hubbie struggles to understand God's place in the political process, and thus tends to wonder, "Why pray?" Is God on one side and not on the other? Probably not, actually. But I think of Joshua in the run-up to the big battle of Jericho. He ran into an angel in the night, standing there with a drawn sword. He asked the angel whose side he was on--ours or theirs. The angel said, "Neither. I'm commander of God's army." With all the help God gave the Israelites you would have thought He was on their side. But I guess God thinks about things more accurately than we do. THEY were on GOD's side. HE was not automatically on THEIR side. And so it is with the political process. HE is not affiliated with the Republicans or the Democrats. HE is not exclusively on the side of the football player who kneels and prays in the end zone after a touchdown. But HE sees when WE are on HIS side. And so He blesses us. So I think it's important to be looking carefully at which side aligns itself more closely with God. And that's why I'm confident that my prayers matter today.

Whatever happens--God is with us. Emmanuel.

2 comments:

Catez said...

This is excellent! It got down to the wire last night - I stayed with it until the report came through from Associated press that Bush was going to declare victory. I like your thoughts here. God is Sovereign and any system, no matter how good it is, will be less than perfect - but He has "put all things under his feet". God bless you.

amy m. provine said...

It was good to read your thoughts. We enjoyed our election day very much. Our son really got in on the process and asked many questions about how our government is made up and how it is unique. I took him early about 7:20a.m. and my husband took him at 3:15p.m. He wore both of his "I voted" stickers with pride.

I am glad that everything was settled so quickly. I'm glad that both the candidates were very gentlemanly towards each other. I am glad that God hears all of our prayers and knows what is best for us even if we don't. I do believe some interesting things happened in this election. My new prayer is that God Almighty - El Shaddai will use this to open the eyes of many people in this country and outside of this country.

Love,
A.