Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

what is it???

OK It's driving me nuts. We were talking at work about Christmas and symbols and what they mean. So wow here is my chance to talk about Jesus being the light, the lamb, pure as snow and all the other things. So one gal and I are explaining the candy cane and the jingle bell. THEN some one says there is a legend of a cardinal. Well, I've never heard this. We did a web search and are coming up empty the best I found was at a Christian gift site abbeypress.com it says something about doves watching Jesus. SO...how do we get to a cardinal?? Anyone know? It's bugging me.

2 comments:

Catez said...

I found this on a website:
"Christened the Christmas bird for its spectacular red color, the Cardinal has become a symbol of the beauty and warmth of the holiday season. A glimpse of this brilliant bird brings cheer, hope and inspiration on a gray, wintry day. As nature’s reminder for us to focus on our faith, the cardinal’s scarlet plumage represents the blood of Jesus Christ shed for the redemption of mankind."

amy m. provine said...

I haven't heard anything about the cardinal either. But I often see it with Christmas stuff. Catez had a lot of good information, though. Cardinals at Christmas time makes me think of one of my aunts. We used to visit her in Northern Iowa over Thanksgiving for an early Christmas celebration. There was always lots of snow, evergreens and cardinals :)