Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Thoughts on tomatoes and the spirit

Tomatoes are the longest of all fruits to ripen, I've determined. My mystery plant, which has stated that he is definitely a pumpkin, already has pumkins turning orange. The cucumbers are burning out, much to my appreciation, I mean really how many pickles does a family need? The peas and lettuces are long gone, the peppers have already given us quite the harvest. Even the sweet corn is ready.

I go out to look in upon my tomatoes nearly every day, if not three times a day. I finally have 1, that's right one, tomato that is slowly making the dramatic change. First she was swirled with pink, almost the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. Then slowly orange took over, and that orange just keeps deepening, and hopefully next time I go out to check she'll be bright red,and then we can break out the blt fixins! The rest of the tomatoes must be under the impression that fashionably late is the way to go. The are at the most getting the pale green/chartreuse color that comes before the blush.

Do you think God awaits for us as Christians to ripen? Does he look in on us everyday, or more often, just to see if its happening yet? Does he examine our hearts thoroughly to see if there is any hint of the lightening of the green or perhaps, Joy of all Joys the blush? Does he take pictures,and call the angels over to have a peek? Does get all proud and anticipate our impending ripeness? Does he make plans for our ministries once we reach that maturity. Is it with great joy that he dances out to the garden on the day that its time for the harvest? Singing a new song designed specially for his bounty? And imagine the immense joy following the harvest of the first very precious fruits, that He can come out with a pail and reap the abundant harvest when the fashionable late finally turn?

Selah,
A.

1 comment:

Godseeker said...

A., hon, you could write poetry if you wanted to. What a sweet reminder that we can bring joy to the heart of God. I'll be thinking of Him this evening when I go out to admire my own orange beauty.

-Godseeker