Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Its a mystery

Do you know how a lot of times God has things planned in your life that really just broadside you? You never saw it coming, yay, all the signs were there, but you were ignoring them weren't you?

Well its happened. I have a mystery plant in my garden. :) I know that the seed came out of the cucumber package. I placed it there myself. The crowning glory of my whole row of cukes, is an enormous rambling mystery squash vine. Yep, it came up several days earlier then the rest of the cucumbers, and yes it is growing a lot faster. But it really didn't hit until that huge floppy bold orange blossom opened up smiling to the world and announcing loudly that it was different, and liking it. I really should have seen it coming. All the rest of the cucumbers are blooming to with their petite, geometric, yellow stars, punctuating the organic chaos the mystery plant is. Even the leaves are in sharp contrast, big - small, floppy - shapely. The six foot vines reaching out into the onions, the yard the zukes and covering some of the cukes - versus their nice compact tendrils. I keep pulling the vines around back to the rows, though so that the mower won't get them. And while this is so wrong, I marvel at the huge beauty. Even though I buy all my seeds in the package and I think that I'm in control, God knows I planted way to many cukes and need more of something else.

He is always looking out for my best interests. I could very easily rid the garden of my huge squatter, but I'm curious to see what God knows this squash is, I'll loving accept whatever it is, too. But I wonder, sometimes our lives feel like this. We think that we know which seeds we have sown, but sometimes the rambling vines grow into something besides what it clearly states on the package. Do we lovingly accept it, care for it and nurture it anyway? Or do we pout and holler up to God that this isn't what we ordered in our nice neat well thought out prayer? Do we leave room for His work?

And with our own kids. I know that ds comes up with new interests I'm not so fond of. I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that ds is all about prehistoric times, archeology, and chemistry. But who knows what the fruits of ds's life will turn, so I try my best to be nurturing and caring. Maybe he will discover something unprecedented, or maybe he will just be a collector of dinosaur models. Whatever God has planned, I want to be there. I want to be the best encourager for him.

Selah
Edited to Add picture
Picture should be here! how did you get yours to be in the post?

4 comments:

Godseeker said...

Ds' new interests sound FASCINATING!! There's a verse in Proverbs that says to train up a child in the way "he" should go and when "he" is old, "he" will not depart from it.

My dad used to explain that you interpret it right by saying train up a child in the way (s)he's BENT--the way they are bending, meaning where their interests lie. Encourage them, show an interest, make sure they know their "bent" is valid and unique. It seems that when children are not encouraged to be what they're supposed to be, but are encouraged to be what someone else wants them to be, they end up wandering through life, aimless souls looking for a purpose--unless God steps in, of course. But you can give that ds a head start by encouraging him in the direction he's seeming to "bend." I think those are some pretty neat directions he's taking. Who knows--he may have totally different interests next year.

amy m. provine said...

Thanks Godseeker! I'll remember that. I love history, but prehistory just isn't my thing. I'm making an effort. I can now pronounce properly at least 100 dinosaur names :)

Godseeker said...

Here's the page that told me how to post pictures. I had to download "Hello." After that it was easy.

http://www.blogger.com/knowledge/2004/05/hello-photoblogging.pyra


-Godseeker

amy m. provine said...

Jomama, you didn't miss anything. I abbreviate things sometimes, I'm sorry. "DS" is darling son, and "DH" is darling husband. There is a whole complicated list of abbreviations for things, I will try not to use them often, though.